Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I dont know what to do,my dog has been drinking more and peeing

Customer Question

I don't know what to do,my dog has been drinking more and peeing every few hours even throughout the night. I have been up at 3am,5am and took her out at 8am and still she peed a lot.This has been going on for the last three weeks. If I am out for more than a couple of hours she can't hold it and urinates in the house. She has been tested for diabetes with no positive results and the vet doesn't know what it is,she has just been given antibiatics but they have made no difference. She seems ok in herself and is eating ok. Would be so grateful for any advice as how to help her. Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me ... what method did the vet use to test for diabetes, a blood test or a urine test ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott,

He has done blood and urine tests,thank you,Lisa

Hello again and thanks for getting back to me

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

There are no quick fixes here I regret to say but where a dog suddenly starts to drink to excess then there is pretty much always some disease situation behind it.

Your vet has done just the right thing is running blood tests and checking urine samples and this will pick up the common " frontline conditions " such as diabetes and kidney disease.

Where this frontline approach has failed your next move should be to start running diagnostics for less common conditions such as uncommon abnormalities of the pituitary gland or the inability of the tubules of the kidney to reabsorb water properly ( diabetes insipidus ).

Sorry I cannot offer anything more constructive for Bo, but all of us small animal vets have been in this sort of position a few times in our careers, the thing to do is to stay focussed and step up the diagnostics a notch.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott