Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has red sores on his skin has taken courses antibiotics

Customer Question

my dog has red sores on his skin has taken courses antibiotics and striods he his well him self and fur is falling out we have another dog with no symtoms this has gone on for a year he is a bald akita
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in late at night when few vets were available. A very thorough history is necessary for me to be helpful to Barney.

Have you been given a diagnosis for Barney's skin condition? We need to consider the demodectic mange mite, pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), Malassezia (yeast infection), a dermatophyte (fungal infection), seborrhea, autoimmune skin disease such as the pemphigus complex, as well as allergic skin disease - allergies to flea saliva, environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites - as well as a food intolerance.

Baseline testing should have included skin scraping, cytology of the skin (examining a sample of his skin surface for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast), and a fungal culture. When we're still flummoxed, we'll biopsy affected skin and let our pathologist guide our therapy.

Is Barney pruritic (itchy)? If so, where on his body does he seem to be most pruritic? Have you tried a presumptive hypoallergenic diet in addition to his antibiotics and steroids? Please respond with as much additional information as you can supply so I can be more accurate in leading you in the right direction.