Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I am getting a puppy who was born with the distal portion of

Customer Question

I am getting a puppy who was born with the distal portion of left forelimb missing. will he eventually need to have it amputated. He runs around very well and it doesn't seem to bother. Also what would be the approximate cost?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Ziggy.

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The only reason to have the leg amputated would be if he uses the stump to walk on. If he does, the end of the stump can get worn, ulcerated, and eventually infected, since he does not have a protective pad like his other feet. If he does not try to walk on it, and carries it off the ground, then he may not have to have it amputated.

The cost would vary from clinic to clinic and in different areas. At my clinic, it would cost around $400 for the surgery and anesthesia, minimally with no complications and if it was done when he was young and small. In an adult dog it might be up to twice as much. Other areas of the country and other clinics might charge more, or less.

If the surgery is done when he is neutered, that will save you some because you don't have to pay twice for anesthesia.

Please let me know if this helps, and if I can answer any more questions.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca