Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have just noticed my Husky dogs mouth is completely swollen

I have just noticed my Husky dog's mouth is completely swollen on one side, he has only been in the garden. not near other dogs, he is quiet and subdued but not showing any sign of pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say the swelling happened quickly?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Any changes in the way he breaths?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure about an hour ago.

27 kgs

no change in breathing

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Mark, given the quick onset for the swelling and having been outside it is very likely he got stung by an insect (bee) or having an allergic reaction. I would have him checked by your family veterinarian, in the meantime start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 75mg every 12 hours for 5 days. You can buy Benadryl (diphenhydramine) over the counter in any chemist, make certain the active ingredient is diphenhyramine. Apply cold compress for 5 minutes on the swelling 4-5 times a day.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter