Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My working cocker spaniel came back from free running (in woods

My working cocker spaniel came back from free running (in woods on our farm) on her walk today with a really sore mouth and on one side seems to have lost a tooth half way between the long tooth and the back tooth. She is rolling her jaw around on the ground and couldn't eat her food. Is it ok to give her half a paracetomol for the pain until the vet opens in the morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Penny, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Cora has apparently injured her mouth.

Paracetomol would be an acceptable drug to give in this situation until you can have her seen. This drug can be toxic to cats so care should be taken to prevent access to any pills, if you have a cat.
The dose would be 5 mg/lb twice a day, to be given with food to avoid stomach upset.
I'm sometimes hesitant to recommend it's use since it might interfere with what your vet might want to prescribe but one or two doses will be fine.

I might also attempt to feed her canned food or soak her kibble in water for 15-20 minutes which she may find easier to manage.

I hope this helps and that she feels better soon. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will try paracetomol in soft food. But I can't work out how much to give. I guess hse weighs about 30lb or so (2 and half stone). She's a small working cocker. Would that be half a paracetomol tablet?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Penny:
You're more than welcome.

The dose for a 30 lb dog would be about 140 mg or 1/2 of a 325 mg tablet. If you have 500 mg tablets, then the dose would be 1/4th of a pill at one time.

Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is very helpful, thanks. Is it possible she could have ripped a tooth out as it's red an apparently no tooth in the space?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Penny:
Yes, it's certainly possible although it takes quite a bit of trauma to remove a tooth in this manner.
It's also possible that there was some other trauma/injury to her mouth which is causing her discomfort/pain and that the tooth isn't involved at all.

Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Penny:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
And, I'll be wishing Cora the best and that this isn't too serious.

In fact, if you have the time to keep me posted about her after her vet visit, this would be most welcome; I'd like to know what your vet thinks.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.