Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog retches at night and is bringing up bile. He seems fine

My dog retches at night and is bringing up bile. He seems fine during the day though. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This could be a symptom of one of several issues. It could be as simple as he experiences sour stomach (or gastic acid overproduction) overnight, which can be addressed by either giving a snack at bedtime to allow something on the stomach to digest overnight and/or to give famotidine at night which you can get at any pharmacy over-the-counter (I cannot provide dose information since you did not indicate Harvey's weight) which might reduce this gastric acid production.

However, this might not be simple like this since it has started fairly recently. He may have ingested something that is trapped in his stomach, or he may have developed inflammatory bowel disease, or he may have an infection (bacterial like helicobacter or a parasite).

This is going to be a problem that requires a bit of testing to narrow down, if the simple changes of a snack at bedtime doesn't help such as screening lab work (CBC, urine check and chemistry profile) and stool check, and then radiographs (xrays) to look for swallowed objects.

Dr. Joey :

I doubt this is related to application of the lawn treatment. Usually with those products once they dry, they are fine.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI there

many thanks for getting back to me. One thing that I have thought of is that he was given some charcoal biscuits as a present and he has never had these before. Do you think these may have upset him? He is drinking, eating and going to the loo fine. He is a cockapoo weighing apron 12kg.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that could be the culprit. If so, then his system should return to normal with some supportive care, such as that mentioned above, within 24-48 hours.

At his weight, if you elected to use famotidine it would be the 10-mg tablet every 12 hours.