Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog seams to have some sort of allergie.He scratches himself

my dog seams to have some sort of allergie.He scratches himself a lot and knibbles at his skin,makeing little sores which eventually dry up and become flakey.He is a 3yr old lurcher,very active,eats well and is otherwise a very happy,healthy dog. Could you please tell me if this condition is contagious and can it be past on to other dogs,As he will be going into boarding kennels soon.Or should i take him to see the vet. Thanks very much. mrs D bBurton
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Mrs. Burton. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is the skin flakey in one area or all over?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he has been scratching for about 8 to 10 weeks.And is only flakey where the sores have been not all over him. He hasbeen treated for fleas.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- What are you using against fleas?
3- Where are the sores/flakey located?
4- I will assume he has no fleas, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

jacks weight is24kg. I am using jonnsons flea &tick drops.he has no fleas.The sores are mainly on his tummy,with just a few on his side

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Dorothy, the flakey skin is consistent with a bacterial infection, the licking/gnawing at the affected area will make it worst developing sores. This is what you can try:

1- Need to stop him from knibbling at affected area or he is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian, he may need oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter