Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Can you recommend a antibiotic I can buy on line for my Dog

Customer Question

Can you recommend a antibiotic I can buy on line for my Dog female 8 years re Urinary infection blood in water she had Nisamox 500mg last time what do you suggest thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to have to tell you that vets on this site aren't allowed to prescribe medicines for the pets we discuss. Our governing bodies don't consider our conversation to be a proper owner--pet-vet relationship.

I can tell you, however, that presumptive therapy for a simple urinary tract infection might be addressed by the broad spectrum potentiated amoxicillin (amoxicillin + clavulanate) or an antibiotic in the fluoroquinolone class such as enrofloxacin. These antibiotics should be administered for 10-14 days and 2 days after the course of antibiotics have been completed, Geogina's urine should be checked to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for answer to my query I tablet a day or two

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many a day 1 or 2

Cephalexin (Keflex) is administered at 20mg/kg twice daily for 10-14 days. Enrofloxacin is administered at 5mg/kg once daily for 10-14 days.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.