Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi I have a 2 year old sbt and cryefd orning I noticed him

Hi I have a 2 year old sbt and cryefd orning I noticed him yelping when stepping off the door step, also yelps in pain when trying to get on sofa, when I put my arms under his chest to help this also hurts him ! Hes not limping so its definitely not his legs, he was fine when we went to bed last night , could he have pulled somthing , can not staNd him been like this hes just cryed out now trying to move on sofa !
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Keren, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Judd hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

In a situation like this where there's an acute onset of pain which may be difficult to localize, then there are several possible explanations. If he had pulled a muscle or was experiencing a sprain, I'd expect him to be lame on at least one leg or to show pain in only one location on his body although I can understand why you might think this could be his problem.

If this were my case, I'd want to consider the following as possible reasons for his behavior:

1. Tick disease.

Symptoms can include fever (normal is between 100 and 102.5), lethargy, stiff, achy body (like the worst flu you've ever had), and sometimes lameness or swollen joints. But the absence of these last two signs doesn't necessarily rule out this disease.

We do have tests for many of these diseases, but we are testing for antibodies, not the organism itself, in most cases. If antibodies are not being produced (for whatever reason) then the tests could be negative and yet this is still the underlying problem.

I've also come to believe that there are tick diseases that we haven't even been able to identify yet and thus would not have tests for all of them. I say this because I live in an area of the country where ticks are endemic. I see dogs present just as you describe I run every tick test that is available (if the owners agree) and yet, many times, they are negative. However, once tetracycline-based drugs are initiated, my patient improves.

2. Problem with the spine such as a disc compressing the spinal cord. These dogs can be quite painful and are often walking with their backs hunched. They may or may not be lame or favoring one or more legs. If the neck is the problem, then they often don't want to turn their heads or hold them down.

A physical and/or x-rays may be suggestive but often an MRI is needed to definitively diagnose this condition.

3. Another possible explanation would be a condition called Discospondylitis (link) which is an infection along the vertebrae. Usually this problem is very painful especially when you press on the back.

Judd might benefit from a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day, given with food to avoid stomach upset.

I'm often hesitant to suggest it's use since it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe but several doses should be find and may bring much needed relief from Judd's pain.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for the reply, hes not in any pain when I touch his back, just chest area arm pits, im hoping resting will do him good, how long would you say I should wait to see if it goes away ?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Keren:
You're more than welcome.

That's good, I suppose, that he doesn't show pain when you touch his back but pain in the chest/arm pits is somewhat unusual. I'd wonder if his abdomen is really the source of his discomfort but he's showing it in this location (which is known as referred pain).

I agree that rest may help but it also sounds like Aspirin should be of benefit, too.
I'd probably give him at least 24 hours to see if the situation improves. If it doesn't or if he worsens (which, hopefully, won't happen), then it might be prudent to have him seen.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Keren:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope you'll stay in touch and keep me posted about Judd; I'd like to know how he does.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

I'll be wishing the best for him. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.