Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our dog has dysplasia in elbows and hips and is on medication

Customer Question

Our dog has dysplasia in elbows and hips and is on medication for pain and inflammation. In spite of that he is reluctant to walk and lays down a lot during walks. Is he in pain and just trying to please us by trying to walk?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Urquhart. Dysplasia in all four legs!

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

He is probably stopping on walks because of his joints causing pain or weakness. However, it could be something else, such as a heart problem. He probably is not just trying to please you, but himself. A 9 year old Lab should be able, and probably wants to take a nice long walk.

A dog his size could take as much as 200 mg tramadol, 3 times a day. It only lasts about 8 hours.

I would also consider fish oil and and herbal product called Doggone Pain.

Acupuncture and/or prolotherapy may help.

It is always heartbreaking to see an otherwise healthy dog who wants to and should be able to go on walks and hikes be limited by dysplasia. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca