Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, Please help, I have a miniature Pomeranian called Roxy,

Customer Question

Hi, Please help, I have a miniature Pomeranian called Roxy, She is 3 years old and I have an emergency medical situation with her, and in need of your advise.
She has been seen by my local vet on three occasions this week, received x rays in search of a foreign object or blockage but nothing was found. Roxy has received antibiotics both oral and intravenous and an anti sickness injection, because she has not been able to eat anything since last Sunday evening without vomiting it back a few minutes later, although she has been drinking water and the vet has said she is not dehydrated and is bright and alert, but quiet and not quite herself, she wants to eat but vomits it back.
I am so concerned that she urgently needs to eat and the vets diagnosis of inflamed aggravated intestine or infection may be wrong. I am concerned their maybe a chew or splinter of.. obstructing the passage of food and has not been seen on the the x-ray. Please help I don't know what else I can do for her. I am also concerned about the spiralling vet fees for further investigations and vet stays to be fed intervienously?.

Thanks Debra
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Debra. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Roxy is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there food in the vomit every time she vomits?
2- Did these symptoms come on quickly?
3- Did your vet do blood work?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Yes there is food returned on each attempt to eat and has been slight blood spots on two occasions.

The symptoms came on shortly after I had given her miniature dumbbell shaped chews, hard and chewable, but not made of hyde.

No blood tests has been taken by the vet.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she with your vet right now? If not, is she on any medications at home?
2- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, she is at home this evening. She has been given a second injection of antibiotic to last 48 hrs and I was advised by vet not to try feed her until tomorrow to allow medication to take effect. Vet says she is a little over weight to help sustain her. Weight on Tuesday last was 3.875,On Wednesday 3.4 something and had reduced further again today, but not sure what the reading was.

She becomes distressed shortly after any attempt of food intake before vomiting, but has managed to retain a few crumb size particles of chicken this evening without vomiting.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Debra, xrays are great and they often tell us all that we want to know. But, sometimes they lack sensitivity to pick up certain types of foreign body or subtle lesions of the gastrointestinal tract. In this case, I believe the next step is discussing with your vet about doing either a barium study (give contrast material to highlight gastrointestinal tract and then take xrays) or doing an abdominal ultrasound. These test will provide more information then plain xrays. When we see vomiting of food this is called regurgitation, common causes would be a foreign body, esophagus disorders, etc. the above test will help rule out these conditions. Finally, consider doing blood work to rule out systemic causes for the vomiting/regurgitation. In the meantime, continue on the recommendation from family veterinarian of fasting.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for responding and replying with your expert advice.

I would like to ask you one more question. I was encouraged this evening by her having managed to retain the crumb size wet chicken without vomiting although her breathing is a little fast. What is your professional opinion for her digestive system recovering and resolving itself without further investigation as she appears much brighter this evening?.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Debra, that all depends on the underlying cause. If her symptoms were related to a simple gastritis then her recovery without any further testing is very good. But, if she has a foreign body that was not picked up by the plain xrays then she will not recover, she may be experiencing a temporary relief. For now, just observe her and see how she does.

Please repy if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

May I ask what is average vetenary cost of surgery to remove an object in uk?.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Debra, I am in New York, U.S.A. I don't know about cost in the U.K. Sorry.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thank you, A final question I would like to ask of you. If she were to pass stools, could I assume all would be ok?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
No Debra, stool can pass through certain types of foreign body.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank-you, I shall follow your advise to observe her for now

Debra

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Debra.