Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 18 month gsd is suppose to have a few drops into his ears

Customer Question

My 18 month gsd is suppose to have a few drops into his ears once a week, up to now he has not had any as he turns snappy . any tricks of the trade that may help? he is not a nasty dog and lets me touch his ears, he gets exactly the same when administering flea and worm control. it started when he was microcjped lynn
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that vets didn't have any magic for you but you do deserve a reply. When we encounter a dog such as he in our hospital, we initially muzzle the dog and then solicit the help of at least two vet techs who manually restrain the dog for the tech who is administering the medications. Muzzling alone can have a calming effect on these dogs. When the dog remains too fractious to be medicated in spite of manual restraint and muzzling, we resort to a short acting dissociative - a drug that "spaces out" our patient and can be reversed with another drug.

Hopefully you can muzzle your dog at home and have help as mentioned above. If not, you can ask your dog's vet to prescribe Acepromazine - a phenothiazine tranquilizer that, once you muzzle your dog, you can then administer to your dog 2 hours prior to your ministrations. I dose this drug up to 2mg/kg. It should heavily but safely tranquilize your dog and even if restraint were still needed, it shouldn't be as difficult to accomplish as it would be without the tranquilizer.

Having behavioral reconditioning performed by a specialist veterinary behaviorist is an alternative but I understand that such reconditioning may be disproportionate to your needing to medicate so infrequently. If so desired, your vet can refer you to such a specialist.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please let me know how you proceed.