Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My golden retriever has silent seasons but at the moment bleeding

My golden retriever has silent seasons but at the moment bleeding a little but really panting and finding it hard to settle not seen her like this before
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me is Sophie drinking more than normal at present?

Scott Nimmo :

I am standing by to help you further if you wish, dogs showing the symptoms your dog is combined with excess drinking can sometimes have a serious disease ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She seems to be
Hello again Trudy and thanks for getting back to me ...

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. There is some degree of possibility that Sophie has a disease called Pyometra. These dogs will be lethargic, will have no appetite. Some will have a vaginal discharge which the owners regard as a continuation of heat and they are usually drinking more than normal.

2. The cause of this disease is quite complex, it usually follows cystic endometrial hyperplasia which is a type of womb disease, this changes the internal environment of the womb and makes it prone to bacterial infections. Once the bacterial infection is established it goes wild and a full blown pyometra is the result.

3. Pyometra is a very serious disease so if there is the slightest that Sophie may be affected you should have her checked over by your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

4. If this turn out to be the diagnosis then the main treatment for this disease is an immediate hysterectomy operation [ Spay ]. It differs from a normal spay operation in that as the dog is usually quite sick you need to provide additional support like putting it on a drip and a higher level of post operative care. In most cases this in fact your only option.

If Sophie has even an early pyometra the time could be of the essence ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott