Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

two days ago my male black lab was diagnosed with diabetes

Customer Question

two days ago my male black lab was diagnosed with diabetes and since then has started on insulin ( twice daily 15 units each) he has so far had 3 injections.
How soon should I notice improvement, ie- he seems very tired and sleepy. he is eating fine and no vomiting etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that few vets were available when you initially posted. Your question is difficult to answer accurately. Response to treatment would be predicated upon the severity of Barney's diabetes, any concomitant disorders he might have, and the dose and type of insulin he's being administered. In most cases, Barney's vet would pick an initial dose - usually in the low range of dosing - have you administer it twice daily for 3-5 days and then perform a glucose curve on Barney - checking blood glucoses every few hours for a 12-24 hour period. In that manner, his vet can determine if the dose is too low, too high, or just right. It does take a few days for any insulin to "kick in" so I'm pleased to hear that Barney is eating fine and showing no other symptoms. His being tired and sleepy might indicate either hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) and also a multitude of other disorders so if you're concerned that his behavior is considerably out of character for him, it would be prudent to have a "spot" blood glucose performed by his vet.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.