Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My bichon frise had her first puppy at 11.50. The dam is licking

Customer Question

My bichon frise had her first puppy at 11.50. The dam is licking and feeding the puppy. How long before the next puppy will arrive.is it normal for the next puppy to take 5 hours between births?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, especially if this is Sweet Pookie's first litter, it is normal to take a long time in between puppies. You have to develop patience during thsi process because it cannot be rushed. Pookie will let you know if she is in distress and she may only have one puppy.

AS long as Pookie is happy and confortable, give this more time.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

The rule of thumb is that if Pookie has NON STOP contractions for more than 1 hr, then she needs veterinary help. If more time goes by even without contractions, it is safe to have your vet examien Pookie just in case.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi pookie is just lying in her basket she is constantly panting showing no sign of being in distress. We are now 6 hours since she gave birth. We have just put some food down for her and she has eaten it. How do we know pookie is having contractions as we did not see pookie giving birth to her puppy.

Hi Gloria...the contractions are very obvious when she is pushing...watch for this. So far, Gloria, she is not in any danger....watch her for any signs of contractions. Your vet can Ultrasound to determine if Pookie has any more puppies/