DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

I have a german shepherd that I am trying to rehome but we

I have a german shepherd that I am trying to rehome but we have discovered a problem with him in the car. He won't lie down!!!!! He also watches out of the window and waits for approaching cars and lunges at them as they pass. As I have a hatchback there is limited space (although he does have plenty of room) when he is standing up I cannot see out of the back window and therefor cannot use my mirror. Is there something I can buy that will make him sleepy so that he will lie down. I live in a rural setting which means that I havae to travel for most things and feel that if I cannot resolve this issue I will have to return the dog. I want to stress that this would be a last resort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

first let me start by saying that most dogs are very nervous when traveling , this is for them an unnatural feeling which unsettles them and make them as well act unexpectedly ( Rino might be barking at other cars as he is frightened from this objects that are moving towards him and he is unable to avoid).

DR.J :

As Rino is indeed a nervous dog when it comes to traveling this poses a problem. There are drugs which you can give that can calm him down - most commonly used are Acepromazine tablets , which can work but as well may not and would require a large dose in order to keep and extras stressed dog calm but would as well keep him rather sedated after the ride is over .

DR.J :

The question you need to ask yourself - is it necessary to have Rino with you where ever you go in your car or would it be possible to keep him home as he is otherwise a good boy by my understanding.

DR.J :

Having a dogs that does not like traveling in the car - on regular trips is not healthy for the dog on a long term base (with you of sedating drugs or without) as well as dangerous for the driver.

DR.J :

My advice would be to let Rino chill at home if possible or find an alternative solution which would allow him to avoid traveling by car .

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions - please let me know and I would be happy to help.

DR.J :

all the best .

DR.J :

Dr.J

Customer:

I would not be having Rino in the car often but as I live in a very rural area if I am going away and need to take him to kennels perhaps overnight, I have to travel at least 2hrs. Or if a visit to the vet is required the same applies. Where can I get the Acepromazine tablets. Can I get them online.

DR.J :

No. These are prescribed drugs. Only your Vet can give them