Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Can dogs be vegetarians ? Is soy good for them?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

Is it possible? Yes
If balanced very carefully. Yes, soy can be just fine.

Here's a classic example of a soy based diet:

Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Soy formula

I would say if you are interested in soy based diet, Royal Canin is by far my first choice and should definitely be available in U.K.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am a vegeterian. Can I keep my lab pups vegeterian.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Puppies. No, I do not encourage it at all.
As an adult, I wouldn't have an issue, but growth is very important, and ensuring a proper balance of protein, calories, calcium, etc...can be difficult.

I would hold off vegetarian diet for now...if I were you.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance? I was not sure if my answer was satisfactory.