Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog has lost his energy. He used to run & play now he just

My dog has lost his energy. He used to run & play now he just plods round and sleeps a lot. Why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Angus.
Very difficult question.
Unfortunately, lethargy and/or weakness simply has too many differentials. We don't know if this could be secondary to some type of infection, possible pain, a endocrine condition like Addison's or hypothyroidism, to name a few.

So, if it is very obvious his change in behavior, than you know for sure there is clearly a systemic (internal) issue that needs to be addressed.
So, what to do?

I would schedule a examination, even tomorrow if really appearing weak, and request some basic testing.

A canine basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)
Urinalysis

Otherwise, without the tests, there is just no way for the vet to guide any guess at therapy.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy