Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog was clipped by a car and seems alright in her self;

Customer Question

My dog was clipped by a car and seems alright in her self; wagging her tail and alert and interested, eating and drinking. There is not pain noticeable when we touch the affected area. Although she wont put any weight on one of her back legs but this is not the one that is visibly injured. She is also yet to go to the loo since the incident occurred Approx 20 hours ago. What do you suggest I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Lola has been injured...it sounds like she was lucky to not have been injured any worse....

Most likely she has been bruised with some swelling and the fact that you cannot elicit pain by palpating these areas means that the injury is deep within the musculature. The best thing you can do for Lola now is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the inflammation to help her past this. Add 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight of mineral oil or vegetable oil to help her relieve her bowels. The pressure of having a bowel movement or urinating can be painful and Lola is probably holding this because of the pain. With the aspirin on board, this will help.

Have your vet check Lola if she does not improve within a day or 2. In most cases, this treatment is effective.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Natalie, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. You are doing great for sweet Lola...keep up the good work!!

Have a wonderful day, Natalie and Lola too!