Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

MY 1 YEAR OLD MINATURE SCHNAUZER SINCE THIS MORNING HAS BEEN

Customer Question

MY 1 YEAR OLD MINATURE SCHNAUZER SINCE THIS MORNING HAS BEEN MAKE A NOISE AS IF SOMETHING IS STUCK IN HIS THROAT HE FINE OTHERWISE BUT HAS BEEN SICK SEVERAL TIMES FIRST IT WAS WHITE AND FROTHY , THEN WENT BROWNY WITH SOME FOOD NOW ITS JUST WATER BASED? ANY ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say that the vomiting occurred secondary to the excessive or forceful hacking?
2- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a boarding facility, groomer, etc.?
3- Is he lethargic?
4- Did he eat?
5- Can you open his mouth and see if there is something stuck under his tongue, gums or teeth?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Yes he was hacking all morning but no vomit until this afternoon

2. No contact with unfamiliar dogs

3. not lethargic alert as always

4. not since his breakfast around 8am but his nose always to ground and looking for food

5 cant see anything

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jonathan, the hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, he has a dog cold. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should he be vomiting every time he hacks ?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Not always, but, it is common to vomit when hacking.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your advice ill take him to our local vet in the morning

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.