Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Have a 10 week old british dog with a sore left back leg

Customer Question

Have a 10 week old british bull dog with a sore left back leg our English bull terrier sat on him and he screamed. We left it for a couple of hours to see if he calmed down, but he kept screaming so took to vet, who checked him over and said could feel any displacement of breaks, and that he screamed no matter where she touched him and that he was just a needy puppy. We then put him on the ground and he walk over to us with out crying.

We came home, and he went to sleep, but on waking, we took him out to the garden, and he was screaming when we picked him up, and when out in the garden put leg to ground and screamed. He then lay down on said leg which didn't seem to bother him, and since then has been asleep, but if he moves he screams
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning. Our puppies can be far more dramatic about pain, to the point in some that it is tough to tell if there is fracture-worthy pain or just soft tissue pain. Did your veterinarian take an x-ray?

Dr. Joey :

If not, and this pain continues overnight, then this is the next step. Sometimes a microfracture or a fracture through a growth plate may not be palpable. But xrays are warranted.

Dr. Joey :

Is he on any pain relief right now? That would also be indicated, but at this age we do not have a lot of options for "safe" products to prescribe. There are no safe over-the-counter medications that I could recommend. Prescription medications would be needed for him to provide this level of relief.

Customer :

No she didn't, and we are due at vets at 8.30 in morning anyway for his second jabs. The noise is very distressing.

Dr. Joey :

The poor little thing. :( If he is terribly distressed to the point he cannot get comfortable, then you may need to consider having him seen overnight for some pain relief medication. I am worried with this level of pain that there might be a fracture through the growth plate. I highly advocate that you ask your vet about taking xrays when he is seen (either at an emergency vet tonight or at your vet in the morning).

Customer :

The vet did give him a pain killing injection which has made him sleep. He was walking on it fine at the vets and when we first got home, but once sleeps on it, it seems to get stiff and then he is very distresed

Dr. Joey :

Yes, this is quite concerning to indicate a possible fracture occurred.

Customer :

So how do we care for him over night? Should another dog just sitting on him cause such discomfort

Dr. Joey :

It is possible to twist the limb when the event occurred in a manner to either cause significant soft tissue injury (ligament or tendon rupture or stress) or even a growth plate fracture. On the optimistic side, puppies are very flexible.

There is no much you can do overnight other than ensure he tries to remain as still as possible (which is super tough in a puppy of this age). You can always try applying a warm pack for some relief (to do this wet a washcloth and then put into a Ziploc baggie. Then heat in microwave a few seconds to warm until comfortable on your skin. Then rest this over the limb until cool; just be sure not too hot).

Dr. Joey :

Again, I wish there was some over-the-counter pain medication I could recommend, but I cannot at this age. Only prescription medications work. If he is severely distressed, then he really must be seen by an overnight emergency veterinarian.

Customer :

when he is asleep he is fine, but if he moves, he cries out and then settles again. Can ligiment damage cause this amount f pain? 7

Dr. Joey :

He is probably moving and then hitting the painful/sore area which is painful enough to wake him up. This level of pain is more consistent with a fracture rather than soft tissue injury (ligament problem). Usually with a soft tissue injury in a puppy, the puppy seems to recover with good medication within hours. Sounds like he received an injection for pain that should hold him for at least 12 to 24 hours, depending on the medication administered. It may be as well if it is a shorter-acting drug that it is wearing off.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what further questions you have.

Dr. Joey :

If you have no further questions right now, please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.