Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

my 9 yr old keeps wetting her self when shes sleeping,

my 9 yr old bitch keeps wetting her self when she's sleeping, even after I've taken her for a last walk at 10 o'clock at night where she does do the toilet when we are out.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, the time difference brought your question in very early this morning. How long has Clover been experiencing urinary incontinence while sleeping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for about four weeks now, as far as I know it has only happened three times. once when sleeping beside my husband on the couch again beside my daughter and I noticed her bed was wet this morning.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you Netta.
Again I apologize for the delay, I was in transit to my clinic when your reply came in, sorry.
Sudden urinary incompetence can be due to a number of different factors. A urinary tract infection; kidney or urinary bladder stones; neurological disorders; functional obstructions by tumors or inflammation; weak bladder sphincter muscle; etc. A thorough examination of her entire body with special emphasis on the urinary tract is needed to determine the underlying cause of her problem.
Statistically, most cases of urinary tract incompetence in older de-sexed females are caused by a loss of bladder control secondary to a hormonal imbalance, but the other causes should be ruled out before this diagnosis can be made. Treatment of hormone-based urinary incompetence is fairly straightforward and not expensive, but usually must be done for the rest of the dog's life in order to control the problem. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob