Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hi, our year old Golden Retriever is struggling to stand. 2

Customer Question

Hi, our year old Golden Retriever is struggling to stand. 2 days ago he was very subdued and lethargic. A vet check showed up nothing unusual and told us to keep an eye on him. He was almost back to normal yesterday exercising as normal before struggling again badly tonight. His temperature, heart rate and appetite are all fine. He is normally so alert and playful but is taking an age to rise and move about and seems very down. He is not whimpering and is letting us rub back and legs.

Should we head back to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

I unfortunately would advise a return veterinary examination

Dr. Altman :

I would also advise taking a video of his movements and what you describe with difficulty getting up, moving about, lethargy so the vet can see what you describe because often when they get to the clinic their adrenaline kicks in and they seem perfectly normal to us!

Dr. Altman :

Glad to hear his basic vitals are normal but it does sound like something is going on and a basic blood panel, evaluation of the video of his behavior at home, and a repeat examination to include a complete neurological exam is warranted

Dr. Altman :

I would also advise using a one to ten scale (ten being not moving at all) tonight and again in the morning to help your vet evaluate the severity of his lethargy and energy level. These things really do help when he is fairly normal on presentation

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I apologize for the delay, I just signed on and saw your question so hopefully my information is helpful to you

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr, we took Roger back in the next morning as he was completely reluctant to stand and only able to do so with a lot of assistance.

Vet checked him over and admitted him. They have brought his temperature to normal levels, checked vital organs (all clear), taken x ray (all clear) but found 'milky' rather than clear fluid in his hind leg joint. This has been sent away for lab tests but results will not be forthcoming for a few days. It seems to suggest septic arthritis so your thoughts on that diagnosis, likely treatment and scope for recovery welcomed in the interim. Presumably it's uncommon in a dog so young?

He seems to be responding reasonably to anti biotic - he was walking when we visited today although still very tentatively and understandably subdued.

Many thanks.
I am so glad that you have a direction for his treatment and he is improving. Yes, I had a similar case a few years ago that was about 10 months old and is now about five years old and has no side effects or longterm issues from the infection in his joint as a younger dog.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, so very happy to hear he is on the road to recovery :)

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!