Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 13 and a half year old staff cross has been

My 13 and a half year old staff cross bitch has been vaginal bleeding for over 6 weeks now is this normal ? She seems very low in spirits and is not eating like she used too? Her back legs seem to be giving up as she struggles to jump on sofa?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?
2- Is she drinking more than usual?
3- Did she have problems with the back legs prior to the bleeding or this is also something new?
4- Is she losing weight?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she has not been spayed, she doesn't drink any more or less than usual,her back legs have been bad the last few months and her weight seems the same.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Dianne, it is not normal for her to have a vaginal bleeding for 6 weeks. I am a bit concern because this suggest she could have an open pyometra, which is a very bad infection of the uterus. Untreated this could be fatal if it is a pyometra. The treatment of choice is surgical removal of the infected uterus in addition to antibiotics.
As far as the back legs, this sounds to be a separate problem like arthritis of the hips, spine or both. In addition, if she is clinically ill because of a pyometra this will also promote the weakness in the back legs.
In this case Dianne there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. Highly recommend having her checked today by a veterinarian to rule out a pyometra. In addition your vet will be able to start her on prescription medication for her hips (arthritis?).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter