Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

nose bleed, sneezing, discharge from eye

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Blood from the nose is always a concerning sign. How much blood are you seeing from Arnie (a bit of spray with each sneeze or an active nose bleed)?

Dr. Joey :

How many times has he had these nose bleeds? And how long has he had this sneezing? Has he been on any medications yet for this problem other than terramycin for his eyes?

Dr. Joey :

Thank you for taking a moment to answer my questions. It helps me to understand where your are in the process of figuring out this situation.

Customer:

HI Dr Joey, the nose bleed started about a week ago, it is a bit of spray when sneezing, he has no other medication other than the eye treatment

Dr. Joey :

With this lower level of spray there could be several possible causes. He may have severe allergies, which often do act up in the spring. In that case, controlling the allergies and perhaps treating any existing secondary bacterial infection may resolve this problem (your vet may prescribe an antihistamine for this or even a corticosteroid). Alternatively, there could be something else going on inside his nose such as a tumor (more likely if the discharge is unilateral or only from one nostril) or he has a foreign object in his nose (such as grass awn) or he has an atypical infection (especially fungal). Or he could have a more general coagulation problem such as issue with his platelets or liver problem or exposure to certain rat poisons. This could lead to the bleeds and then secondarily he is sneezing.

Dr. Joey :

I must advocate a visit to see his veterinarian for an exam and some initial screening lab work, if not done within the past 2 weeks with a coagulation profile. This can help us rule out some of the possible underlying causes. Then you can discuss if you want to do a medication trial (such as for allergy treatment) or if you want to pursue further testing, if the lab work is normal such as endoscopy or xrays of the nose.