Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Ihave a yorkie who has a tumor at the neck of her bladder she

Customer Question

Ihave a yorkie who has a tumor at the neck of her bladder she is 18 years old and is on Loxicom and this has helped for the last 6 months ,she is having problems peeing now and has made a few mistakes in the house recently is there anything else she can be given to help her? apart from this prob she is ok xx
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

There are no other easy medications to use like loxicom, which is a good choice. At this point you must make a decision to work with an an oncologist and surgeon to consider surgical debulking of the tumor and reconstruction of the bladder (can be done by a good surgeon) and/or chemotherapy (carboplatin, mitoxantrone, vinblastine, doxorubicin, or cisplatin).

Dr. Joey :

If you chose to do nothing further as far as chemotherapy or surgery, then we only have this drug and other medications that might decrease urinary straining, but nothing else that will slow down the tumor's progression. Even with the therapy mentioned we may not expect a cure, but to delay onset of inability to urinate or intense urinary pain for much longer (with surgery and chemo).

Dr. Joey :

If she is having more urinary accidents, it is always important for her vet to do the easy step and perform a urinalysis and urine culture to be sure she does not have a bacterial infection (easily treated); she is at higher risk with this issue in her bladder.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have, and that you can see my replies above.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.