Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My westie is 16 and blind I think she should be put to sleep

My westie is 16 and blind I think she should be put to sleep but I want to do it my self is there a tablet that I can give her at home not at the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am so sorry to hear about your Westie's condition.

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

There is no pill, at all, for euthanasia.

Rebecca :

I get this question often, and it would be so kind to administer a pill at home for a painless, peaceful death.

Customer: What do I do.
Rebecca :

Unfortunately if there were such a pill, the potential for abuse ( suicide, murder) would be enormous, so no drug company can get a license to make such a drug.

Rebecca :

The only safe, humane, peaceful euthanasia is by intravenous injection, using the drug that is licensed for that purpose by a licensed veterinarian. Can you find a house call veterinarian in your area so you don't have to take her to a clinic.

Rebecca :

We often go to people's houses for this.

Rebecca :

As soon as I get there, I administer a sedative so the dog is not nervous about my being there. Once that injection brings about sedation, I give the IV.

Rebecca :

For really nervous animals, I have the dog owner give a pill at home to help with the sedation.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you; I hope you still see what I am writing.

Customer: I know a vet that treated her all her life but I can't bring her there is to upsetting for me I am 70 I know that I am being selfish not thinking about the dog .
Rebecca :

Can you ask your vet to come to the house?

Rebecca :

You are not selfish, and not alone. Many people do not want to bring their beloved pets to us for the final visit; too painful, too sad.

Rebecca :

Probably half the dogs I put to sleep, are at home.

Customer: If there're is nothing else I can do will ask thank you for your help.
Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

Best of luck; I hope you find some one who can help.

Customer: thanks.
Rebecca :

My sincere condolences to you.