Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

my border collie has a red lump poking out from the front of

my border collie has a red lump poking out from the front of his mouth inbetween teeth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Ben's condition, I know it must be of great concern to you. There are two kinds of gingival lesions that look like what you've described, benign gingival hyperplasia and cancer. As it's name implies, benign gingival hyperplasia is benign, and of no immediate danger. This is just a slow growing mass of tissue whose only consequences would be cosmetic and possibly interfering with Ben's chewing. The other is a type of malignant cancer that is often quite invasive, attacking underlying bone or possibly spreading to other surrounding tissues.
Usually the only way to differentiate between the benign and malignant types is to perform a biopsy, sending a bit of the tissue to a pathologist for evaluation. If this mass is very slow growing, the chances are very much in Ben's favor of living out his life with no serious consequences from the growth, regardless of which type it is because of his advanced age. My recommendation is to have the mass examined by Ben's veterinarian very soon, particularly if you're sure it's growing noticeably fast. If you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards, XXXXX