Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I want to buy a collie pup whose parents have not been DNA

Customer Question

I want to buy a collie pup whose parents have not been DNA tested for collie eye anomaly (CEA) nor examined to see if they have it. Can the pup be physically checked prior to 8 weeks for CEA and could this test definitively determine whether or not the dog could in future develop CEA?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Rebecca.I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

CEA can develop when a dog is older, so checking the eyes now, and the eyes being normal, does not mean the puppy won't develop this condition.

You could have this puppy tested. The test apparently takes only a small amount of blood. The DNA test will tell you if he is normal, a carrier or already affected with the condition. A physical exam of his eyes, even by a veterinary ophthalmologist, will not tell you what will happen to his eyes in the future.

Please let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer.

Rebecca