Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Im trying a new product for low level arthritis in my 11 year

I'm trying a new product for low level arthritis in my 11 year old Great Dane. Any thoughts on the ingredients please? My dog is not on any other treatment.

As the appear on the label: Yeast culture, Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Protein Hydrolysate, Mucopolysaccharides, Avocado Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASU), Bromelain, Glycine, Glutamic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, L-Proline, Sulphur, L-Ananine, L-Arganine, L-Serine, Aspartic Acid, Manganaese Sulphate, Pyridoxine HCI (Vitamin B6), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vegetable Oil, Preserved with Ammonium Propionate.

Thank you for your thoughts
Mimi
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

First, let me say with regard to supplements for arthritis, we have much more success with products that contain glucosamine and chondroitin +/- MSM, which I do not see in this product. The yucca and avacao might help a little bit but not as much, if at all, in comparison to the other supplements I mentioned.

Dr. Joey :

No studies have been done on long term use of these herbs, but they have been used long term, by people and pet owners with no recognized problems thus far. The most important issue is the brand that is used as there is little regulation on the quality of supplements. So, chose a brand that you trust.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

Customer:

I see. This particular brand is being sold by a friend. I would like to try it to be helpful. I believe it is produced by the same people who produce Cortaflex by Equine America - but a version for dogs. I believe this is a trusted brand in the US?

Dr. Joey :

I am not familiar with this brand. It probably will not hurt, but I cannot say that I would expect miracle results. If you were to see any improvement, it might take 4-6 weeks. You can certainly try. The difficulty with supplements is that the product may not actually contain in it what is claimed on the label. In some studies where these products have been evaluated, we find it rarely has all that is claimed and sometimes none.

Dr. Joey :

Instead, if you are interested in a supplement, I would recommend on that had glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. With that you would have more chance of seeing improvement.

Customer:

OK thank you. Is there a way of finding out if the said ingredients do exist in the product? Potentially my friend is being conned into selling something that could be dodgy ingredients!

Dr. Joey :

Only if you know of a lab that will evaluate this, which I am not familiar with any that will do this. I do agree that unfortunately even your friend may not be able to tell you if analysis is done to prove each bottle is the same. :(

Dr. Joey :

If you have no further questions, please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Customer:

Oh. So far he has had good feedback so hopefully it is the real deal and the ASU and Yucca is doing something positive with naturally produced glucosamine and chondroitin. The body produces both of those in its own right?

Dr. Joey :

I hope so! These products can be so nice when they work.

Dr. Joey :

I meant that I hope the products work. The body doesn't produce yucca or avacado.

Customer:

Sorry - I meant the body naturally produces glucosamine and chondoitin?

Dr. Joey :

Yes but supplementing can ensure that there is plenty available when the body decides to use this.

Customer:

I see. I just googled and see some people are saying ASU compliments the action of glucosamine and chondroitin. But again (- as you say), if this were to work, it would depend on the quality and quantity of ASU in the product. I'm trying to think of reasons way someone should buy my friends product!

Dr. Joey :

It is a gamble that it will work and be of high quality product, but many people take that gamble. All you can do is state the reasons this might work.

Customer:

Ok. I guess if people see an improvement, they will continue using. If not - they won't. Simple! Thanks for your help.

Dr. Joey :

You are certainly welcome. Keep me posted.

Customer:

Out of interest - does this Just Answer work well for you? I provide consultancy on shelter/rescue management. I'm wondering if I should consider this scheme?

Dr. Joey :

The experts on this forum are top notch. We are real professionals answering questions. I am not sure I could say how it works as I am not on the management side of it.

Customer:

OK. Many thanks and good bye.