Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

For the last few day my yorkie have been wearing a citronella

For the last few day my yorkie have been wearing a citronella collar,she has started to sniff and snort and has a runny nose my yorkie cross had also been doing the same but dose not have a citronella collar, could it be a cold or something to do with the collar ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Cheryl, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I suppose it's possible that the collar is responsible for the symptoms you're seeing in both dogs but it's not likely. It sounds more like an upper respiratory infection to me especially since these conditions can be contagious between dogs, just like in humans.
Of course, allergies can also cause these signs but if neither dog has had such problems in the past, it would be uncommon for two dogs to develop this condition at the same time.

Upper respiratory infections in dogs are usually viral or bacterial in nature; if the former, then they basically have to run their course, but if the latter, then systemic antibiotics can be useful in shortening the course of the disease. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to know which is the underlying cause:(
If Tia's or your other dog's nasal discharge becomes green or yellowish in color, then there could be a bacterial component and they might benefit from medication.

As to at home treatment options, I'll sometimes suggest anti-histamines for my patients since they can help to dry up secretions and are essentially safe for most dogs. The dose would be 1 mg/lb twice a day although sedation can be seen.

I'll also recommend a humidifier to moisten the air or Tia and her friend can be placed in a bathroom with hot water running from the shower although this is such a waste of water than I don't usually suggest it.

Upper respiratory infections can last for about 7-10 days just to give you an idea of the time involved.
Some dogs will also run mild fevers and act lethargic for a day or so...also similar to a human with a cold.

Dogs with Canine Influenza or pneumonia can show similar symptoms early in the course of the disease; these dogs rapidly become more ill though, so if they both are active and are eating, then a vet visit may not be necessary at this time. You may be able to just monitor them.

I hope this helps and that they both are feeling better soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Cheryl:

I’m just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is she doing? Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you dr deb ,Tia and Charlie seem to be fine now ,thankyou for your help cherylūüź∂
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Cheryl:
That's good to hear; thanks so much for letting me know:) Regards, Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Cheryl:
I just wanted to thank you for your rating; it's greatly appreciated, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.