Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 4 year old black lab woke up this morning and couldnt stand

My 4 year old black lab woke up this morning and couldn't stand on his back legs, he pulled himself down the stairs. We used a sling to help him walk into livingroom. It seems to be his back right leg, but he can't wag his tail. What should we do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Corey.
This is a difficult question.
Why?
Well, we can't differentiate, at this point, if this is solely due to injury involving the back right leg, or if there is a additional concern for injury to the spine, like a disc herniation.

The most common injuries for a hind leg include:
1. A partial or complete tear of the cruciate ligament in the knee (stifle).
Cruciate Ligament Tear
2. Exacerbation of degenerative joint disease (arthritis) in the knee or hips
Hip Arthritis
Note: Hip dysplasia is early age arthritis due to genetics, whereas, many older pets can have age-related arthritis changes in their joints due to age.
3. Any other soft tissue injury (tendon, muscle, ligament)
4. A fracture
5. A paw trauma, fractured nail, or a foreign body in the paw.

However, most of this list doesn't apply to Corey other than the concern for possible fracture or a cruciate ligament tear in the knee (very very common!)

Considering the degree of difficulty walking, as well as the tail changes, I really think Corey needs to get examined and as soon as possible. He will need very good pain management, as well as, anti-inflammatory therapy.

The vet may also do a brief neurologic examination as well to ascertain if a specialist is going to be needed. Expect x-rays of that right hind leg for sure.

I would not attempt to give any medications or over the counter anti-nflammatories. Vet visit ASAP.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy