Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my dog (20 months old), folowing a walk this morning (just

Customer Question

my dog (20 months old), folowing a walk this morning (just under three miles in an hour), is very lethargic and keeps whining. He did exactly the same last friday. He nomally follows me round everyehere but today, like last friday, is just laying on the sofa. When he whines its like he has dicomfort. When it happened last rRiday I did take him to the vet because 2 days previous he had finished a course of antibiotics and antinflammatories for a UTI but they said nothing was wrong. Am i being an overprotecting owner, or is he just being mardy? he did it very briefly Saturday as well. He is a border terrier
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does concern me. We must rely on you as the person who knows Monty best to be able to determine if this vocalizing is due to pain, stress or something else. If you feel he is experiencing pain, perhaps he has some joint pain or cramping after exercise. It is good that upon an exam last time nothing terrible was found. If this was my patient and if it had not already been done I would recommend some screening radiographs (xrays) to look at his joints (hips in particular) just to determine if there is any level of dysplasia or arthritis. If this looked good then perhaps you can discuss doing a trial with a pain relief medication at home (to keep on-hand for when he has this experience). If there is no response to pain relief medication, then perhaps this is not pain related. In that case (no response to pain medication), then we must consider perhaps, he has true weakness from something else such as a heart arrhythmia or truly weak muscles (Myasthenia gravis) or another electrolyte/glucose issue.

Dr. Joey :

I cannot recommend any safe over-the-counter pain medications to try. Most carry significant side effects and I am not a fan of aspirin since it always carries a high risk for stomach ulceration in dogs. I advocate if you are thinking a trial with pain relief sounds like a good option to phone your vet and discuss this over the phone (perhaps even avoid another office visit).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.