Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I want to neuter my puppy before her first season as there

Customer Question

I want to neuter my puppy before her first season as there is a higher risk to mammary cancer. I do not want her to have puppies. She is 18 weeks old. When should I book her in?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome .. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The answer to your question is simple. I have spayed a great many female dogs in my time when they were round about the age of five to six months of age just before they had their first season and I can see nothing wrong in carrying out the operation in this age group { 20 weeks + }

Scott Nimmo :

As you say there are real health benefits to carrying out the procedure now and not when Poppy is older ...

Scott Nimmo :

That about covers it ...

Customer: My vet will not neuter my female puppy before her first season and there is a lot of data that says that the risk of mammary cancer is higher if you don't. We do not want puppies and have a 9 year old cocker spaniel who has been neutered at home with Poppy our 4 month old Springer Poo. I do not want to wait really. Do I change vet and just do it?
Scott Nimmo :

I see your dilemma, I certainly would have no qualms about spaying just before the first season myself but I know sometimes opinion is divided. But as far as the breast cancer risk goes there would not be too much of an increased risk if spaying was carried out just after the first season. The risks really increase as the dog gets older say five or six or seven years of age and has not been spayed ...

Scott Nimmo :

At the end of the day though you are the owner and this sort of case where there is actually not too much to choose between your wishes should be respected. The main thing though is to get her spayed before she is one year of age.

Customer: Poppy is urinating when she gets excited,I have read that neutering early can lead to poor urine habits? Is there a higher risk with pre season neutering?
Scott Nimmo :

Female dogs can get a condition called urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch which is related to low { absent } female hormone levels and this will happen in a small minority of spayed bitched no matter what age they are spayed at. What Poppy is doing is more likely to be excitement related urination and this will happen whether she is spayed or not ...

Customer: Thank you very much. One last thing if you don't mind. She is chewing everything! How long does she teeth for and when does she have her full set of teeth
Scott Nimmo :

No problem, pleas ask anything you like ....

Scott Nimmo :

Young dogs often pass through a period of chewing which is related to teething, teething is where they lose their milk teeth and get their adult teeth, this normally starts at around four months of age and is complete by six months of age. It will help to give her toys to chew but be firm with her if you find she chews things she should not.

Customer: Thank you Scott. Good bye.