Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have noticed my Border Collie has developed a lump on the

Customer Question

I have noticed my Border Collie has developed a lump on the left side of his face. It is between his jaw and left eye. It feels like bone, is giving him no pain and he will let you stroke him there without any discomfort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I believe that you're describing the osteomyelitis (infection of bone) secondary to abscessation of the maxillary 4th premolar (carnassial) or molars on the left side of Spencer's face. Infection of these teeth often fistulates (forms a draining tract) to the area you've described on his face. Pain, curiously, is rarely a feature of these bumps but probing of the suspected teeth can induce pain.

At 11 years of age, Spencer is likely to have a fracture of his carnassial tooth. Bacteria enters the fracture site and eventually infects the tooth root. Spencer's vet can carefully examine Spencer's teeth including dental X-rays in the exam. If a tooth root abscess is discovered, we usually extract the tooth although a root canal can be performed instead in many cases.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.