Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Can you tell me should you breed on from a with a kink

Customer Question

Can you tell me should you breed on from a bitch with a kink in her tail that has produced a kink in her tail. The breed is vizsla who should have a straight tail.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question about Maddy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

There are no rules saying you can't breed her, but there is a chance that some of the puppies could also have kinked tails. Kinked tails are considered to be genetic, and can be passed on to the next generation.

As long as you are not hoping for the puppies to be show dogs, and the potential buyers won't care about what the tails look like, you can breed her. If both parents are registered as purebreds, you can register the puppies as well.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wanted to know if restrictions should be lifted to breed on from the producer of a kinked pup who has a kink herself

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I guess I am not sure what you mean by "restrictions". Are there restrictions on the breeder? Who placed these restrictions?

There is no reason you can't breed a dog with a kinked tail, as long as you accept that you are passing on a genetic defect to the next generation.

Did your breeder sell you a puppy and then make you agree not to breed her, and now you want to breed her; is that what you are asking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I a the breeder, I bred this pup but have just had a litter from the same bitch. I endorsed this persons pup as I don't want to breed on defects. All

reports I've read said all should be endorsed. The pups will go as pets onneuter contract the dam will beneutered

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to be confused. I still don't understand what these "restrictions" and "endorsements" are; is there a contract on these dogs? I am just not sure what you are asking.

From what I can understand, you bred your dog (do you own both parents?), and one of the puppies has a kink. Now you have another litter from the same bitch. But I don't understand what you mean by "I endorsed this persons pup"; is it the pup with the kink, or a pup from the other litter?

Any puppies from either litter, kinked or not, could be carrying the gene for the kink. I personally agree that any dog with a genetic defect should not be bred. However, there are no laws or rules about it, unless there was a contract made when a puppy was sold, and now the owner wants to breed a dog that has a contract saying it is not to be bred.