Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my dog has eaten 7 dental sticks will it hurt her

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Dottie ate so many Dental Stix. That is quite a few for a Cocker Spaniel sized dog.

If she chewed them well and is used to eating them daily or several times a week she might have mild stomach upset, or be perfectly fine. It will really depend upon how sensitive her stomach is in general, if her gastrointestinal tract is used to digesting this sort of treat, and how well she chewed them.
The concern is if she didn't chew them well the pieces can compact upon one another and cause a partial or full gastrointestinal blockage. Hopefully her stomach acid will break them down further so they pass easily.

You can help her pass the pieces more easily by feeding a bland diet with lots of fiber. For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded; the gut isn't irritated and isn't contracting on just the pieces.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 39.4 C rectally) and lethargy.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.