Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 month old cockapoo has never had a poorly tummy

Customer Question

My 12 month old cockapoo bitch has never had a poorly tummy until last week and after starving her for 24hours and giving her rice with her dried food introduced gradually over 4 meals she has now started to leave me presents... during the night and then on Friday whilst I was at work although not completely solid then Friday night they were a bit more runny but without thinking I fed her Saturday morning.
She has not had anything to eat since then and her poo has been really runny and this morning quite mucousy she is drinking ok and is ok generally with as much energy as usual in her walk this morning I still have not fed her and am wondering wether to take her to the vet or leave it until tomorrow and just give her a little rice tonight.
She was wormed about a month ago and there are no worms present.
Can you give me any advice please?
I have had bearded collies since 1973 and they have never gone like this?
My beardie is fine
thanks
Fiona
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- What is the name of the dewormer that was given?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No vomiting

Asi said in my email she is just as active and lively as normal

malabon or something like that

I have just given her a tablespoon rice with some rice water she is drinking normally

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Fiona, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon, she has colitis. This can explain why she is having accidents in the house and the loose stool. There are many possible causes for colitis. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on exam and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc.
I would definitely have her checked by family veterinarian and start her on a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl) and consider deworming with Panacur (fenbendazole). In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Do not fast her again, change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity/inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter