Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dobermann is 2 1/2 years old and has just started leaking

Customer Question

my dobermann is 2 1/2 years old and has just started leaking wee, we have had her scanned and was told there was nothing wrong,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

From what you are telling me, it appears that your gal is suffering from a Hormone Responsive Incontinence. This is very common in spayed females (I am assuming she is spayed) due to the loss of estrogen when the ovaries are removed. This hormone is responsible for priming the bladder sphincter and when there is no longer this stimulation, the sphincter will become weak. This will cause very typical signs of urinating during sleep or when lying down. The urine is very dilute and may not give off any odor. The dog does not know it is happening and will be shocked to wake up in a wet spot.

The treatment for this is a medication called Phenylpropanolamine which will attempt to strengthen this sphincter. If this is not successful, DES (diethyl stilbesterol) which is estrogen will be used to prime this sphincter and will be successful at stopping this condition.

It is good that your veterinarian examined your gal to be sure there is not an underlying cause such as a urinary tract infection or bladder stones with the Ultrasound. If this is ruled out, the treatment will be initiated and your gal will be back to normal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much we were very worried !!

can you tell me if we can buy the medication on line as we live in Portugal and have trouble getting anything,

and how long will the first treatment last before we know if we have to try the second medication.

This medication is only by prescription in the US but I am not sure about Portugal...call your vet about this.

The treatment is often only given for 10-14 days to prime the bladder so the incontinence stops This may have to be repeated later but that could be years from now.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your girl's condition.

Have a wonderful day!