Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My Mum lives in Spain and has a Shiatsu who has a Liver problem,

My Mum lives in Spain and has a Shiatsu who has a Liver problem, the dog was tested and confirmed that she has a Liver problem but the vets dont seem to be able to give her proper nutritional advice. Mum feeds her with cooked chicken with no skin or fat with boiled rice but she still refuses meals about 3 times a week when she brings up frothy yellow bile and has yellow stools (not quite Diarrhea) The Dog wont drink but Mum puts a tablespoon of water in her meals - she cant seem to tolerate anymore liquid than that and makes her sick.
Can you suggest the best diet for her and what medication (if any) she should be on please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Gillian, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Chrissy has been diagnosed with liver issues especially since she's so young.

When it comes to diet in these cases, I don't typically recommend or suggest a diet restricted in protein unless my patient demonstrates evidence of protein intolerance (such as in end-stage liver disease or those with liver shunts).
Most good quality dog foods will suffice just avoid those high in fiber.
It sounds as if her diet is not quite as balanced as it should be if she's only being fed chicken and rice. But I understand the limitations and difficulties involved in getting some dogs to eat so at least a daily, multi-vitamin supplement should be added.

In terms of medications/supplements, the following are what I typically suggest:

1. Over the counter Famotidine (at least it's available here in the States) which can help with nausea issues although Cerenia is also a very potent anti-vomiting drug (which would have to be dispensed by your mom's vet if availalbe in Spain.). The dose of Famotidine, though, would be 1/4th mg/lb twice a day about 30 minutes prior to a meal. For example, a 10-15 lb dog would be given 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet at one time.

Another option would be Omeprazole at a dose of 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet once a day.

2. Vitamin E--d-Alpha-tocopherol (not d-l) at a dose of 10 IU/kg/day

3 SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine) at a dose of 10 mg/lb once daily

4. Milk Thistle (Silymarin) 20–50 mg/kg per day

#3 and #4 can be purchased as human supplements but they are combined in one veterinary product called Denamarin. I'm not certain if Denamarin is available in Spain either but it's not a drug so shouldn't require a prescription.

5. Many dogs with liver disease will benefit from antibiotics since bacterial colonization can easily take place. If she's not already taking them, Clavamox, Cephalosporin or Metronidazole are good choices. I usually prescribe them for several weeks.

6. I might consider Ursodiol because it not only increases bile acid flow but also has been shown to reduce hepatocellular inflammation and fibrosis. Again, this is a drug most commonly prescribed by a vet and is not available over the counter.

I do understand that it can be problematic in some cases to try and administer so many medications to a dog at one time, though.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for that although I didn't realise I was speaking to the US, I am in the UK and one of the main problems my Mother has is the translation of medical terminology from English to Spanish.

Do you know the reciprocal UK names for any of the items you've mentioned? I might be able to locate them in the UK.

Chrissy also has an Intolerance to Gluten hence why Mum has not had any luck with feeding her commercial products and has opted for a more natural diet which seems to suit Chrissy best however she understands that this may not be meeting all of Chrissys nutritional needs.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Gillian:
I can understand your confusion since experts on this site live not only in the UK but in the States and even as far away as Australia:) But the largest number of experts live in the States.

Both Famotidine and Omeprazole are the actual drug names. I know that Famotidine may be difficult to find in the UK but it's also known as Pepcid AC.
Omeprazole is also known as Prilosec or Zegerid or Losepine.

I now understand why Chrissy is being fed the diet you mentioned; in these cases, it's often very difficult to find one which the patient will eat and can tolerate. I'd probably just add the multi--vitamin as I mentioned if the chicken and rice is working well for her.

Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Gillian:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your mom's dog. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.