Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My year old cocker spaniel is really lethargic today, and

My year old cocker spaniel is really lethargic today, and seems to have trouble jumping, couldn't even step up into the house earlier. She is normally bouncy. She also ate really slowly (normally scoffs at record speed)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Molly is not feeling well today

Dr. Altman :

My first inclination with the information you have provided is she is having pain in her neck or back which is unfortunately fairly common for her breed

Dr. Altman :

Moving slowly, difficulty jumping, tail tucked all worry me she has some back pain and with dogs they might not give you any other indication of discomfort

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any previously dispensed pain medication for her?

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats to ensure you are not having difficulties with live chat

Dr. Altman :

Is her belly swollen at all or normal size? Is she able to find a comfortable position to lay in?

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable to you so we can discuss how to get Molly comfortable today...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for this.

No I don't have any medication that I can give her

Her belly is not swollen

She seems to lie on her side ok

She seems worried when I go near one of her hips

Yes, the area that is most commonly affected in Cockers or any dog with back pain unfortunately tends to be the area where the ribs end and the abdominal spinal cord begins or where the abdominal spine ends and the pelvis begins. There are a lot of nerve bundles that come out along here and can cause pain into the back legs and down the remaining spine.

Definitely keep her as quiet as you can, it sounds like she is limiting her own activity but no stairs and no walks. You can rotate warm compresses and cool ones throughout the night with ten minutes contact before removing every few hours. Warm increases blood flow to promote healing and cold helps numb to soothe the painful area.

Hopefully tomorrow your vet can hone in on her pain and get her feeling better with some pain medications. If you have to lift her to put her in the car please use caution. One hand between her front legs and the other to "swoop" behind her back legs in order to minimize the hunching of her middle back.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today.