Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has just had a spat with one of my other dogs, the result

Customer Question

My dog has just had a spat with one of my other dogs, the result is a small puncture wound to the side of her jaw ( caused by a tooth ) there are no tears, but it is leaking blood, no pouring or pulsing. we have cleaned wound with hibiscrub and applied a kaltostat dressing, are we okay to wait till tomorrow morning to see the vet or should I seek treatment now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about what happened to Honey

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It sounds like you did great first aid.

Rebecca :

If the puncture is deep, there still could risk of an infection, deep below the skin.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX okay till wait till morning to see the vet

Rebecca :

Leaking a little bloody fluid is to be expected, and actually may be helpful to get any possible infection to drain.

Rebecca :

Yes, I think you are fine to wait until tomorrow.

Rebecca :

I would apply a warm compress to the area, to help draw any infection.

Rebecca :

I would do the warm compress for 5 minutes, a couple times today, if she will let you.

Rebecca :

If the area around the wound starts to get swollen, or painful, you could give some aspirin. How much does she weigh?

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?

Customer:

Great. puts miny mind at rest, one other thing the dogs have been together for 7 years and never had this before, but we have had a new puppy just joined the pack, we normally leave th dogs together if we go shopping ( not the puppy, that is in a crate until everyone is heppy with each other)

Rebecca :

So getting the new puppy was possibly a trigger for this? Did you see what happened?

Customer:

Do we need to seperate the two dogs now, or should we continue as normal, i think the spat started over a piece of wood one of them had.

Rebecca :

Fights do start over things that one dog has that the other wants. I might not leave them together when you are gone for awhile, until you see how everyone settles in with the new puppy and the change in "the pack".

Customer:

The puppy was there, as was I (in the garden), but dont think he was the cause, I think they all had a piece of wood and honey went to take storms.

Rebecca :

Are the dogs and puppy males or females? Are the adults spayed/neutered?

Rebecca :

Went to take storms?

Rebecca :

IF this is the first fight in 7 years, I would not be too worried. I guess Storm is your other dog?

Rebecca :

The pack being increased by one might have made Storm more protective of his stick.

Customer:

Storm is the other dog, ( female cross rotweiller and french bordeaux 4 years old) Honey is a Staffie 7 years old and female , both spayed. Puppy is male. Honey was with anothe dog before we got storm and no problems then (that dog died)

Rebecca :

This is only one episode, so I would just monitor them for now, and not leave them alone with sticks or toys for now.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

Customer:

I think that the stick is the issue a you say, since the spat both have been close and Storm styed very close whislt we were treating honey, seemed to checking her out if she was okay, mose to nose licking etc.

Rebecca :

I hope this is an isolated event.

Customer:

No you have been great thanks

Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

Let me know if there is anything else.

Customer:

No thats fine.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Cyril,
How are the dogs doing?

Rebecca