Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a XXXXX XXXXX terrier and he has bit his self to the

We have a XXXXX XXXXX terrier and he has bit his self to the point were his skin is red raw. I can feel little crusty lumps in his fur that I assume are scabs from were he has broke his skin. He is eating grass and generally sleeping more than usually. When he is occupied he doesn't bother with them, we have attended our vet in the past who has advised he is an itchy dog and to deter him from doing it but he is now biting us if we try and do that. Please can you suggest something or give a diagnoses. Thanks Sarah
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often are you bathing him?
2- Is he itchy all over or in one particular area?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We normally bathe him once a month before fleaing and also wash his bedding at the same time with a sensitive powder. However this month he has had 1 more bath with a sensitive shampoo and wet down because he rolled in mud and I didn't want an infection to start. He weighs 1 stone 3 pounds and the main area is under his front right "armpit" and on his front paws

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sarah, if you are seeing scabs on the skin it sounds like he may have a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma), this will cause him to be itchy. It is also important to remember that a common cause for bacterial infections and itchy skin is an underlying food or environmental allergy. This is what you can try:

1- Need to stop him from scratching or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from scratching/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

5- Discuss with your vet about starting him on oral antibiotics.

6- If the itching continues after doing the above consider doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks with a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d. Or, a grain free diet. When doing a food trial he should not eat anything else but the hypoallergenic food. No table food. Give veggies like baby carrots, cauliflower or broccoli as treats.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.