Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi there My dog of 3 years has been quite disturbed after

Customer Question

Hi there
My dog of 3 years has been quite disturbed after moving his bowls and keeps turning to his back end if there is a problem ? I have read that sometimes glands at this point fill up but I don't see any swelling . Could you give me some idea what to do for him . He is feeling so sorry of himself
Many thanks Polly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Stan seems uncomfortable after passing stool and keeps looking at his back end.

One of the most likely causes of this is full or impacted anal glands. When trying to pass his stool it is possible that the normal pressure put on his anal glands, which should have caused their contents to empty, made them more uncomfortable since they didn't empty, and now he is feeling more pressure. Anal glands are scent glands located just inside the rectum at about the 5 & 7 o'clock position. You may not see the swelling externally, the swelling may be more internal placing pressure on his colon/rectum.

Other possible causes of perianal discomfort are intestinal cramping, tapeworms (small grains of rice type worm segments that are passed with or independently of stool) or other gastrointestinal parasites, or a food allergy/sensitivity causing perianal itchiness.

As long as his stools are normal today and he seems to be eating and drinking normally then this isn't an emergency.

For now it may help to place a cold compress on his perineum for 5 to 10 minutes, then pat dry and apply a little cortisone ointment aa couple times today.

If he remains uncomfortable I recommend having his veterinarian check his anal glands tomorrow. I also recommend that your veterinarian check a fresh stool sample for gastrointestinal parasites.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your reply . I will try your instructions . I have noticed he wanted to sit on the cold grass . Thanks again Polly
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Poor fellow must be quite sore, please let me know how things go for him, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again . Just to let you know I took Stan to the vet today after having a fraught night with him ( poor soul ) The vet emptied the glands and is much better. Thank you again for your assistance.
Polly :) x
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
I am so glad to hear that Stan is feeling better today after having his anal glands emptied. I can imagine that last night was miserable for both of you. You might try having his anal glands checked and emptied periodically to keep him comfortable.

If this becomes a chronic thing for him there are a few preventative things that you can do.
I recommend weight loss if he is overweight.
I also recommend decreasing or stopping entirely table scraps.
A diet higher in fiber, such as a weight loss diet or mature diet, may help. Sometimes a prescription food very high in fiber like Hills r/d or Purina Veterinary Diets OM is needed.

Thank you so much for letting me know how things went for him today. Hopefully this is a one time thing for you fellow.