Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I Am Very Worried About My Dog.

Customer Question

My Dog Is Almost 2 Years Old, He Suffers From Anxiety And Nervousness And The Past Couple Of Days He's Been Acting Very Weird, He's Been Crying Under His Breath And Whining Very Few Minutes And Not Drinking Only Eating A Little, Playing A Little But Then Just Walking Away Crying. At First I Thought He Wanted To Go Out For A Walk, So I Did, He Was A Bit Distant And Ignoring Normal Commands Like 'Come' & 'Wait' When I We Came Back Inside 3 Minutes Later He Started Crying Again. He's Also Acting Weird Around Me, He Comes Up To Me And Sits On My Chest Sniffing My Eye And Head And I Don't Know Why. I Have Been Worrying About My Dog. Is My Dog Ill Or Is He Depressed? I Don't Understand All I Want To Do Is Help Him. Please Help My Dog.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets were puzzled just as you are because Tony's behavior certainly indicates anxiety but we can't know if the anxiety has arisen from a medical disorder or represents a purely psychologic disorder. I would expect the latter because you mentioned that Tony suffers from anxiety and nervousness.

I have advanced training in canine behavior and insist that my patients have a full physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests prior to initiating any therapy for a suspected behavioral problem. I have to recommend, then, that you have Tony examined by his vet at this time. Once done and if nothing untoward is found, I wold be pleased to discuss his behavior with you or if you prefer you can have a specialist behaviorist come to your home and evaluate the dynamics therein which allows a behaviorist to be more accurate in their diagnosis and treatment of these dogs. Please see here for more information: http://www.apbc.org.uk/ and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.