Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Doberman 2 years old has started soiling in kitchen during

Customer Question

My Doberman 2 years old has started soiling in kitchen during the night. He was toilet trained prior to this. I cut his meals to one per day and he lost weight. He is fed rice and mince meat from sainsburys in equal portions. I am now feeding him twice per day about 7 am and 4 pm. He put back on the weight. I did try kaolin tablets for dogs.

We had noticed as a puppy he had a sensitive stomach and appeared to poo more than normal for a dog, soft motions. The kennel owner mentioned this to me also and his skin was flakey. I wondered if he has a wheat allergy . He stopped eating any biscuits. On this new diet he gained weight and was happy and healthy and his skin not as flakey. After 4 weeks of this I am becoming concerned Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It does sound like Atticus has a digestive disturbance which may be an allergy ir it may be hereditary. If this soiling in the house seems like incontinence, I would worry about a neurologic issue that affects the anal sphincter so that Atticus cannot hold this in. This could be due to an unstable disc in his back that blocks some of the nerve supply allowing this fecal incontinence.

The best thing to do is to have your vet examine Atticus and run blood work as well as xrays to determine if there is a meidcal cause for this. In most cases, with dogs that are housetrained, the cause is medical and can be treated.

For now, give Atticus aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If there is an unstable disc in his back, this will decrease the inflammation that may be blocking this nerve supply. Then feed Atticus the diet he is used to alog with Probiotics given daily ot help with digestion.

It is important that you have your vet examine Atticus...

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took Atticus to the vet today and she said he is very healthy and thinks perhaps he has his body clock muddled.

She suggested more activity in the afternoon. I have fed him lactose free milk with rice for his evening meal. I will try probiotics I had thought of that myself. We will deworm him. He doesn't seem in pain and is very happy and active so I doubt a disc issue. We live on a large property with foxes and deer and we wondered if he had picked up a parasite or something similar. His diet has been the same for months now and he was thriving

That is great Lin....that rules out medical issues...now you need to concentrate on diet and exercise. It is unlikely that it has anything to do with a parasite but it is worth having your vet check a stool sample.

Thank you so much, Lin, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know that Atticus will do great with your love and care, Lin.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am feeding him lactose free milk and rice in the afternoon, 2 days and no mishaps so fingers crossed.

I will also put him on probiotics as you suggested and was my next step. I am a pharmacist but always am not sure what is good for animals.

I give him an omega 3 each day also which seems to make his coat so glossy I think.

Good job, Lin...you are doing great for Atticus...I do believe the probiotics will help and the Omega 3 fatty acids help in other ways. Keep up the good job, Lin,...you are doing the best you can for your sweet Atticus.