Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 3 year old male dog is gradually becoming more out of control.

My 3 year old male dog is gradually becoming more out of control. He barks at everything and everyone, hates other dogs, marks indoors and is a nightmare to take out on a walk. At the moment he is still intact, and he is an otherwise healthy, happy dog. Should I consider getting him neutered? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. I definitely think that neutering would be the first thing I would recommend. I most likely would decrease the marking he does. You may still see a few instances because it may be a learned behavior now. Make sure you are cleaning the areas very well with something that specifically says it neutralizes or eliminates pet odors. If he can still smell it, he may continue to mark in the same areas. Neutering may or may not help with the barking and difficulty with keeping in under control with walks. If these behaviors are due to territorial aggression or due to intact females he detects, it may help more. You may still need to have him evaluated by a veterinary behavior specialist or certified dog trainer in your area, though. He needs to learn his commands for sit and stay very well. A trainer will help you to get him to respond better to those commands. I would highly recommend a head halter, or Gentle Leader, for walking him. If you have control of his head, you will be able to control him a lot better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.