Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I am the owner of a Lab/Border Collie cross. Approx. 1 week

Customer Question

I am the owner of a Lab/Border Collie cross. Approx. 1 week ago he under went two hours of general anaesthesia to repair a ripped rectum following a dog attack.
He has always been a calm, obedient dog. For example, he and I would go running together and I never had the need to use a lead. He would come instantly when called and respond to all instructions.
Since the op. he has undergone a personality change. He appears agitated and unable to settle. He will lie down for a short time and then jump up and lie somewhere else. When I let him off the lead, he runs and is extremely difficult to call back. Previously, he would run ahead and stop periodically to check where I was and either continue or come back of his own volition. Because he now runs so far ahead, without bothering to turn round, it is not possible to let him off the lead or run, as we used to.
Currently, he is taking antibiotics and Metacam. He has one more day of medication.
He is still a gentle, affectionate animal, but these changes do concern me.
Is he likely to recover from these after effects/ side effects? Will I get my running buddy back?

Alan, Liverpool
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Thus sort of surgery is quite painful so more than likely he is still suffering some degree of minor discomfort, thus being enough to take his mind off things.

Scott Nimmo :

It is early days yet and I would still be hopeful that he will slowly return to his old self as time passes.

Scott Nimmo :

In the meantime though Metacam is not such a great painkiller so you may consider asking your vet for a weeks course of something more potent such as Tramadol and see if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did forget to mention that Bokkie has Ehlers Danlos syndrome (sp?) and so the tear was extremely extensive - fortunately missing his anus and testicles. He was stitched and glued which must be causing his discomfort. I was not expecting what appears to be a level of disorientation and fearful behaviour.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further,

I have known this happen on quite a few occasions in the past, of course you have the trauma of the original incident which can have an effect. But also dogs cannot understand the reasons behind the discomfort they are presently feeling or why it has happened so of course they will be unsettled to some extent.

Perhaps this was the first discomfort your dog has ever experienced.

Just give things a little more time, most dogs we gradually come round.

Regards,

Scott.
Hello again Alan,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on Bokkie's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet