Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi me bichon frieze is 4 years old and every now and again

Customer Question

Hi me bichon frieze is 4 years old and every now and again she has blood in her urine....iv had her to the vets but other than change her diet....special food that SHE WILL NOT EAT....they don't seem to do much else...I'm very worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Betsy has intermittent blood in her urine.

If your veterinarians have advised a food change I suspect the reason for blood in her urine is a combination of urinary tract infections, crystals forming in her urine and maybe even small calculi (stones) all of which are highly irritating to the urinary tract and cause bleeding.

Some dogs, like some people are prone to repeatedly getting infections and forming crystals and calculi and it sound like she is one of those dogs. We cannot change her metabolism, all we can do is feed her foods that will make her urine pH inhospitable for bacteria and crystal precipitation, and decrease the building blocks found in the food she eats which predispose to cyrstal/calculi formation.

I understand that it is so frustrating to purchase an expensive, prescription food and have Betsy turn her nose up at it. But your veterinarians are doing their best to try and prevent problems by recommending a prescription food. Unfortunately some dogs don't like to eat what is good for them. Without knowing the type of crystals/calculi she is forming it is difficult for me to comment on a particular food recommendation for her, but there are several companies that make prescription foods for dogs, including Hills, Royal Canin and Purina Veterinary Diets. Perhaps she will like one of those formulations. It is worth trying them all.

If she absolutely won't eat any prescription foods then I recommend working with a veterinary nutritionist to formulate a homemade food for her that she will eat and that will help prevent problems.
Here is a link to a webpage that gives information about a veterinary nutritionist at the University of Edinburgh:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/services/small-animals/vets/services/nutritionservice

Best of luck with Betsy, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Expert:  dianne-cssm replied 3 years ago.

We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] co. uk and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.co.uk/dog-health/8gjqc-hi-bichon-frieze-years-old-every-again.html). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Customer Support Team.