Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a 10 month old rhodesian ridgeback, when we re out walking

I have a 10 month old rhodesian ridgeback, when we re out walking he will just stand still looking dazed for 5 minutes. This has happened about once a month since he was 6 months but it's happened 2 times today. Do you have a idea what this could be, I m starting to get concerned now. Hope you can help, thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. This is an interesting behavior that you're seeing with Bear. When he has these dazed episodes, is he responsive to you? Does he move around when he has them and interact / sniff / or seem interested in something? Besides these events, is he acting totally normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's acting totally normally before and after this dazed minutes. I think he hears me and he stands next to me but 2 other times he rested on the grass. He s not jerking or anything coming out of his mouth. I just want to comfort him because I m worried because my other ridgeback died last year with megaesophagus and that was a very hard and gruel illness. When we re out he's off his lead enjoying himself usually and then this happens,do you have a idea what's wrong with bear please.? Thanks, amanda
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all that information Amanda. I'm sorry to hear about your loss of the other ridgeback with the megaesophagus. This behavior with Bear doesn't in any way indicate anything of a similar nature. These "events" that you're seeing. They could be brief periods of time that he's more focused on something that you're not aware of. Could he have found a smell or a sound that has totally captured his attention? That has to be a consideration. Sometimes they are so aware of things that we have no clue about. Could he have heard something in the grass where he's at that he's now trying to locate? I would have to be pretty suspicious of this. I've been out and about with my own dog off lead and when she's in the grass, she will sometimes freeze as she has disturbed something that has now got her attention - usually for her it is a small bunny that makes the sound that she hears and then focuses on. If it isn't something environmental getting Bear's attention, could he have momentarily have injured himself and he freezes due to this? While possible, it doesn't seem that suspect. There is no vocalization or lameness after the event.

Could he be having focal seizures? This is possible and can't be ruled out. What I'd say is a good thing to do here is to try and capture one of these events on video so you can take it to your vet to have them view it and see what they have to say on this. With smart phones now a day all over, this may be something that is possible. I know at my ER, I've had a lot of owners bringing in videos of "abnormal" behavior that their pet is doing at home.

For the most part, what you're seeing doesn't sound like a bad situation. I'm hoping that it is the "environmental" stimulant that is getting his attention.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first time it happened he was running along a path and saw deer, he ran a little bit then stopped looked dazed, dizzy even and I got him to lie down then after 5 minutes he got up and was normal, tonight I gave him a treat and he jumped up in the air to catch it like normal then this dazed moment happened again, then 45 minutes Ago I was on a ladder in my garage and bear came in and my foot tapped his mouth and he got distressed and acted sore, and this dazed thing happened again. I m just needing I suppose reassurance from you that it doesn't sound anything bad. He's just a happy healthy puppy and this is my only concern with him. He sometimes walks a little backwards when it's happening too, thanks, amanda
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Hum. Could this be a discomfort situation? The getting distressed and acting sore prior to the "dazed" event may indicate that it is a sensation of discomfort as part of this. Some dogs can have abnormal heart rhythms that can cause weakness events or possible syncopal events. The tough thing with these is that the abnormal rhythm may not be heard or picked up on during routine evaluations as they can be intermittent. Unless you hear / record them when they are happening, they might not get picked up on. I think getting a video of what your seeing is again going to help shed a lot of light on this. I'm still hoping that this isn't something all that worrisome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I was starting to think it was heart related. One other boy puppy in bears litter has a heart problem. I will get in contact with the breeder I got him from, thanks for your help bruce
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad to have been of help at this time. Please do let me know what you find out with Bear and this situation. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all turns out well for him!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How would I be able to let you know how I get on with bear? Thanks, amamda
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
This question link will always be open - even after you rate my help. I've had owners copy and past the link in their browser and come back days to weeks to months later to give an update on how things are going.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience